Displaying items by tag: Georgia
Movie review written by Molly Nall
STX Entertainment, Sierra/Affinity, Mad As Birds, Rose Pictures and Entertainment One present a PG-13, 91 minute, Comedy, directed by Zara Hayes, story by Hayes and Shane Atkinson with a theatre release date of May 10. 2019.
Washington D.C., November 2, 2015 -- The Born Free Foundation is working with its partners at the Arcturos Bear Sanctuary in the mountains of Northern Greece, to enable the rescue and relocation of three female bear cubs from Georgia who were found wandering the streets of Tbilisi following the floods in June this year. The nine-month-old cubs have been kept in the municipal dog pound outside the city center, as the authorities had nowhere else to put them. The kennels they are currently housed in are designed for the short-term keeping of stray dogs and are unsuitable for bears.
According to Adam M. Roberts, CEO of Born Free USA and the Born Free Foundation, “These intelligent, inquisitive orphaned bears are subjected to the noise of barking dogs day and night, are at risk of disease, and are severely stressed. The authorities continue to do what they can, but they desperately need to be moved, and Born Free is doing everything possible to initiate and expedite the process to get them to our sanctuary by Christmas.”
The cubs will join 10-month-old Ushka who arrived at the Arcturos Bear Sanctuary in the spring after tragically sustaining a broken back from possibly being hit by a car, and is now paralyzed in both hind legs. Ushka is currently under expert care at the sanctuary where he pulls himself along a smooth, tiled floor as a means to move and play.
Bears are in serious trouble throughout Europe. Many languish in dysfunctional zoos and circuses and some countries, like Albania, still have dancing bears. In the wild they are persecuted and often illegally hunted or victims of human/animal conflict in ever decreasing areas of natural wilderness. Born Free is calling for tighter controls, enforcement of laws and more humane solutions to the problems they face. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, there are an estimated 14,000 brown bears in Europe (excluding Russia). It is estimated that there are just 150 in Greece, and about 450 in Georgia.
In Georgia, brown bears are on the country's ‘Red List’ and protected - and greater efforts are being made to conserve and look after them. However, poaching persists and accidents happen. Born Free is looking to enter discussions with the government on how to enhance the welfare of bears and conservation of this troubled species.
Legendary actress and the co-founder of Born Free USA and the Born Free Foundation, Virginia McKenna OBE, said, “For us it is always the most wonderful moment when we are asked to help with a rescue. One, little ‘Ushka’, has many challenges to face – but we want to help him overcome as many as possible, for as long as possible. The other three cubs now in Georgia, will have a hopeful future if we can get them quickly out of the dog kennels where they languish. Time is of the essence here and we cannot fail them.”
To help Ushka and the three cubs, visit www.bornfree.org.uk.
The Born Free Foundation is a dynamic international wildlife charity, devoted to compassionate conservation and animal welfare. Born Free takes action worldwide to protect threatened species and stop individual animal suffering. Born Free believes wildlife belongs in the wild and works to phase out zoos. The Foundation rescues animals from lives of misery in tiny cages and give them lifetime care. Born Free protects lions, elephants, tigers, gorillas, wolves, polar bears, dolphins, marine turtles and many more species in their natural habitat, working with local communities to help people and wildlife live together without conflict. The Foundation’s high-profile campaigns change public attitudes, persuade decision-makers and get results. Every year, Born Free helps hundreds of thousands of animals worldwide. More at www.bornfree.org.uk.
Born in Fitchburg, Massachusetts and raised across the border in Coal Branch, New Brunswick, Canada, THE ROYS possess a sound that is rich and identifiable.
Sought-after entertainers on the New England circuit, THE ROYS eventually moved to Nashville, signing with Rural Rhythm Records.
Their debut album, Lonesome Whistle (2011), was met with critical acclaim. THE ROYS newest musical venture is the album New Day Dawning (2012)
and features the single "Still Standing."
THE MUSIC: New Album: Gypsy Runaway Train (Available June 4, 2013)
Previous Album: New Day Dawning (2012)
Previous Single: “Still Standing”
Debut Album: Lonesome Whistle (2011)
Record Label: Rural Rhythm Records
• New Day Dawning debuted at #2 on Billboard Bluegrass Albums Chart
• 2012 Inspirational Country Music (ICM) Bluegrass Artist of the Year
• 2012 Inspirational Country Music (ICM) No. 1 Inspirational Country Single (“I Wonder What God’s Thinking”)
• 2011 Inspirational Country Music (ICM) Bluegrass Artist of the Year
• 2009 & 2010 Inspirational Country Music (ICM) Duo of the Year
• "Coal Minin’ Man" (Lee Roy/Matthew J. Rogers) from Lonesome Whistle CD Nominated for SPBGMA Song of the Year (2012)
• Lonesome Whistle hit #2 on The Alternate Root Top-66 International Bluegrass Chart and #7 on the Top-20 Bluegrass Albums Chart in Cashbox Magazine
• "Coal Minin’ Man" (single) hit #1 on Power Source Magazine Top-35 Songs Chart
• "Coal Minin’ Man" (single) hit #3 on the Bluegrass Unlimited Top-30 Songs Chart and Bluegrass Music Profiles Charts
• "Trailblazer" spent 14 weeks on the European Hot Disc Chart, Peaking at #4
• "Coal Minin’ Man" #1 on the European Country Chart for 2 Weeks
• Roughstock’s Ones To Watch: Class of 2011
• Performed for President George W. Bush at Andrews Air Force Base on his final day in office
• Performed the National Anthem at the Tennessee Titans/Denver Broncos game (2011), Red Sox at Fenway Park and the NASCAR Truck Series
at The Kansas Speedway
• Performed with George Jones, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Chris Young, Blake Shelton, Doyle Lawson, Janie Fricke, Collin Raye, Alan Jackson,
Ricky Skaggs, Sara Evans, Rhonda Vincent, Phil Vassar, Neal McCoy, Jimmy Fortune, Dailey & Vincent and the Oak Ridge Boys
• Bluegrass Nights At The Ryman 2012
• CMA Music Fest 2012
• Tamworth Country Music Festival 2012 (Australia)
PERSONAL PROJECTS / CHARITIES:
• Hosts of the 2013 Christmas 4 Kids Celebrity Golf Tournament
• Co-hosted the 2012 Christmas 4 Kids Celebrity Golf Tournament with Tennessee Titans’ Placekicker Rob Bironas
• Compassion International Spokespersons: "Respond With Compassion" Campaign 2011- 2012
• Compassion International mission trip to Bogota, Columbia, South America (August 2010)
Team RealTree Outdoor Energy Drink: The number one energy drink brand for living outdoors, featuring the 16 oz. metal re-sealable bottles,
different camouflage patterns for flavor variations and the distinctive Team RealTree logo. Available in White Buck, Blaze Orange, AP Citrus, Pink
Lemonade and Low-Carb Cream Soda.