Saturday, 03 November 2018 00:00

Talkin' Pets News Featured

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Talkin' Pets News

November 3, 2018

Host - Jon Patch

Co-Host - Karen Vance

Producer - Daisey Charlotte

Network Producer - Quin McCarthy

Social Media / Production - Bob Page

Special Guests - Lisa Lunghofer, Executive Director of The Grey Muzzle Organization will join Jon and Talkin' Pets 11/03/18 at 5pm EST tp discuss her work with older dogs

Mark Wayne Glasmire will join Jon and Talkin' Pets 11/03/18 at 635pm EST to discuss his new CD, Can't Be Denied, his love of animals and give away copies of his CD


Tesla CEO Elon Musk has hinted that the company may produce cars with a "dog mode" to keep canines safe in hot weather, Business Insider reports.

The matter came up on Twitter, with a user asking whether the company could create a dog mode "Where the music plays and the ac is on, with a display on screen saying 'I’m fine my owner will be right back'?"

Musk replied simply: "Yes."

Business Insider notes that Musk is unusual as a CEO for the fact that he interacts readily and informally with Twitter users.

The publication explains that while his reply is no guarantee that dog mode will become a reality, "it suggests it's on the company's radar."

Hundreds of dogs die each year from being left in hot cars, Business Insider notes.

A new law has been passed in California that grants judges the authority to decide who gets custody of the family pet in divorces cases, much as they decide child custody, according to the Associated Press (AP). Until now, pets have been considered property, a status that puts them in the same category as material items like TVs and vehicles.

A new bill signed by California Gov. Jerry Brown states that pets will still be considered community property, but the judge deciding who gets to keep the pet will be able to consider things like who feeds the pet, takes it to the veterinarian and walks it, the AP reports.

“I think it’s a good idea. I personally have a little rescue bichon poodle named Rodney King Stone. He’s like a family member,” family law attorney Megan Green of Los Angeles tells the AP, who has seen her share of couples battle bitterly over their pets in divorce cases.

Without the law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, judges have had to get creative. According to the AP, some judges have tried to figure out which owner the pet liked better, or if the family had two pets, a judge would suggest splitting them up.

Assemblyman Bill Quirk (D), who introduced the law, feels pets should have the status they deserve—as family members. He found support from the governor, who has a photo of the “first dog,” complete with biography, on his official website.

A majority of veterinarians experience widespread moral distress when receiving inappropriate requests for euthanasia and in instances of being unable to provide care, according to a new study published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.

“A majority of respondents reported feeling conflict over what care is appropriate to provide. Over 70 percent of respondents felt that the obstacles they faced that prevented them from providing appropriate care caused them or their staff moderate to severe distress,” the study reads.

“Seventy‐nine percent of participants report being asked to provide care they consider futile. More than 70 percent of participants reported no training in conflict resolution or self‐care.”

The study surveyed 889 veterinarians in North America about how they cope with ethical conflicts and moral standards with pet owners and caring for the animals.

“My assumption is the findings from our survey are definitely part of, or even the majority of, the reason why veterinarians have higher-than-average suicide rates,” J. Wesley Boyd, the study’s senior author and bioethicist at Harvard Medical School, told NPR.

The study revealed nearly 64 percent of vets and their staff felt moderate to severe stress after getting inappropriate requests from owners to euthanize their pets. Another 69 percent of respondents had moderate to severe amounts of distress of not being able to provide care to an animal they thought was appropriate.

Some pet owners are decking out their furry companions in body armor in hopes of defending against coyote attacks, the Kansas City Star reports.

The product they're using, CoyoteVest, consists of kevlar armor with spikes on the neck and back. It costs between $69 and $99.

The company's founders, Paul and Pamela Motts of San Diego, came up with the product after their own dog, Buffy, died in a coyote attack.

Paul Motts explained on the company's website: "I know that coyotes are generally afraid of humans, yet this coyote carried out his attack just feet away from me and in an area where there were dozens of people nearby."

USA Today has reported that coyote attacks are on the rise in U.S. cities.

A pack of llama that escaped from a guided hike in southern Yellowstone National Park in August was rescued by a Montana outfitter last weekend, just days before most of the park's entrances were to close for winter preparations.

"I just had to help him," Susi Huelsmeyer-Sinay with Yellowstone Llamas in Bozeman, Montana, said. "He was abandoned."

Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas owner Kirstin Baty of Idaho Falls, Idaho, tells the Jackson Hole News & Guide that Ike ran off after guides loosened his halter because it irritated the spot of a previously abscessed tooth.

"Ike slipped out of the halter completely," Baty said, "because he's sneaky, and he knows he can."

It was the second time he'd escaped in the park, but the first foray was less than a couple of weeks in duration, Baty said.

After his August escape, the 12- to 15-year-old, 350-pound llama evaded capture attempts for about a month, including special treats and efforts to lure him in with other llamas.

"A lot of groups were looking for him," said Beau Baty, who owns Wilderness Ridge with his wife. "Rangers were looking for him on their days off. It just pushed him deeper into the backcountry."

They decided to wait until the weather drove Ike out of the backcountry.

In the meantime, park visitors reported seeing some strange wildlife. It was one of those reports that fellow Yellowstone concessionaire Hueslmeyer-Sinay heard about on Oct. 24.

"I contacted the park service and with the blessing of the park service I came to Yellowstone last Sunday to check out Ike and see if I could entice him to come home with me or to leave the park," Hueslmeyer-Sinay told the Post Register of Idaho Falls.

She brought three llamas and headed to the last known sighting of Ike, near Lewis Lake, southwest of Yellowstone Lake.

"All of a sudden, there he was coming up and greeting the three llamas, who in turn greeted him," she said. "These guys are herd animals. They need their own kind."

She said she turned around with her llamas and Ike followed, eventually getting into a trailer with them for the trip back to Bozeman. Beau Baty said Ike's rescuer is going to keep him.

A Durham man who has been missing since January may have been killed and fed to some hogs as retribution for stealing cocaine from a local drug dealer, according to a new search warrant.

Charleston Prentice Goodman, 26, was last seen on Jan. 28, when several people saw him arguing in the 800 block of East Woodcroft Parkway with a group of men, who then shoved him into a minivan and drove off.

Police recently applied for a search warrant to obtain data off Goodman's cellphone from AT&T.

Investigators stated in the application that someone saw Goodman's dead body in the back of a van two days later.

A confidential informant told police that a drug dealer had evidence that Goodman had broken into his apartment and stole two bricks of cocaine, so the dealer hired a crew to kidnap him.

The crew included a former friend of Goodman who had fallen out with him over a woman, according to a different informant.

One informant told police that Goodman's body was wrapped in plastic bags and stored at an unknown location before the former friend could dump it, and the second said the body "is believed to have been fed to hogs," according to the search warrant application. The informant provided no other details.

Anyone with information about Goodman is asked to call Durham police Investigator E. Ortiz at 919-560-4400, extension 29337, Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200 or the Durham Police Department’s main desk at 919-560-4427.

When most people leave their dogs at home, they might fear coming back to a chewed-up slipper or a knocked-over trash can, but one pet owner in Michigan almost didn't have a home to come back to because of the trouble his German shepherd Dahlia got in, and he caught it all on his home surveillance camera.

The man shared the footage on YouTube and in it, you can see Dahlia on her hind legs by the stove. At one point, her nose nudges the dial, accidentally turning on the gas and lighting it. Another dog, a good boy named Hendrix, saw what was happening and moved as far away as he could. The fire ignited a case of soda that was sitting on the stove and as the flames rose up, cans of soda began to explode. 

Thankfully, the flames extinguished themselves and damage was minimal. However, this isn't an isolated incident - according to the National Fire Protection Association, up to 750 fires are started by pets each year. Using stove knob covers meant for baby-proofing can help prevent your pet from starting this type of blaze.

The Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA) has mobilized efforts to determine the circumstances behind the mysterious deaths of more than 100 pigeons in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

The ministry ordered an investigation after Al-Madina newspaper published report about the bird deaths.

A team comprising veterinarians and animal resources management specialists as well as officials from the ministry›s office in Jeddah governorate, visited the incident site in Al-Faisaliah district to carry out the investigation.

Samples taken from the dead pigeons and their food were sent to the central laboratory for tests to determine the reason behind the bird deaths. The team will submit a final report to the authorities after the test results were made available.

If there were anyone behind the poisoning of the pigeons, then they will have to face the law, officials said.

There is a fine for poisoning wild birds which could double if the act was repeated within year. The fine will multiply every time the offense was repeated.

General Director of MEWA in Makkah province Omar Bin Saeed Al-Faqih, said appropriate punishments would be applied on anyone found to be poisoning the birds, in accordance with the pertinent regulations. He emphasized the role of society in enhancing awareness on animal welfare through the media and social networking sites. He also stressed the importance of reporting abuse against animals to the authorities.

Authorities vow to punish anyone found to have poisoned the birds


Read 635 times Last modified on Saturday, 03 November 2018 16:50
Super User

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.