THE WILD INSIDE by Jamey Bradbury
On Sale March 20, 2018
A promising talent makes her electrifying debut with an unforgettable novel, set in the Alaskan wilderness, that is a fusion of psychological thriller and coming-of-age tale!
EARLY PRAISE FOR THE WILD INSIDE
“Bradbury has written a lovely and intense novel about the precarious balance of life and death, what it means to be human and fragile in a hostile environment, and, perhaps, what it means to be something other than entirely human.” – Library Journal, Starred Review
“Set in the dense Alaska wilderness, Bradbury’s quiet yet haunting debut novel is equal parts back-to-the-land adventure story and foreboding psychological thriller. …Bradbury builds suspense by keeping Tracy—and the reader—mostly in the dark about what’s actually going on until the gruesome reveal at the end. She also adds other elements to keep interests piqued: Tracy’s ability to sense her kills’ thoughts adds a mystical element to the narrative, and the detailed depiction of mushing is captivating. It’s a unique take on rural noir.”
– Publishers Weekly
“Tracy’s unsettling compulsion for hunting takes a magic-realist turn early on…patient readers who like earthy, genre-blending, coming-of-age stories should be pleased.” – Booklist
THE WILD INSIDE(William Morrow, On-sale: 03/20/18, 9780062741998, $25.99) follows natural born trapper and hunter Tracy Petrikoff as she spends her days tracking animals and running with her dogs in the remote Alaskan forests surrounding her family’s home. Tracy has been anticipating running the Iditarod her whole life, following in the footsteps of her father, a seasoned musher and race champion. She is on the cusp of her 18th birthday and finally eligible to compete, but her father has forbidden her to train for the race—he and her brother can’t cope with the recent, unexpected death of Tracy’s mother. So, in secret, she runs the dogs at night in the wilderness surrounding her family’s home, training for the ultimate challenge. And though she feels safe in this untamed land, Tracy still follows her late mother’s rules: Never Lose Sight of the House. Never Come Home with Dirty Hands. And, above all else—Never Make a Person Bleed.
While she is foraging in the woods, a stranger attacks Tracy and knocks her unconscious. But she can’t tell her father about the assault because she would risk having to tell him the truth about what she was really doing in the forest. Now, everything she thought about the tranquility and safety of her homestead is questioned.
The next day, she glimpses an eerily familiar man emerge from the tree line, gravely injured from a vicious knife wound—a wound from a hunting knife akin to the one she carries in her pocket. Was this the man who attacked her? Did she almost kill him? Did she break her mother’s most important rule? With her memories of the events jumbled after hitting her head, Tracy can’t be sure.
Then a mysterious wanderer appears, looking for a job. Tracy senses that Jesse Goodwin is hiding something, but she can’t warn her father without explaining about the attack—or why she’s kept it to herself. It soon becomes clear that something dangerous is going on. The way Jesse has wormed his way into the family, the threatening face of the stranger in a crowd, the boot-prints she finds at the forest’s edge. Tracy doesn’t know who she can trust, but the real danger is closer then she would have ever imagined.
Bradbury showcases her distinctive voice and true command of a language that rings with authenticity, not only of the remote Alaskan setting but of a girl on the edge of womanhood. THE WILD INSIDEis a masterful portrait of the world of dog-sled racing in the isolated wilderness. Exploring the difficulties of life as we are thrust into adulthood, Bradbury transports readers into Tracy’s world and as they become growingly engrossed in her choices, readers will be shocked at her last poignant decision.
# # #
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Jamey Bradbury is a writer who lives in Anchorage, Alaska. Her fiction has appeared in Black Warrior Review (winner of the annual fiction contest), Sou'wester, and Zone 3 and won an Estelle Campbell Memorial Award from the National Society of Arts and Letters. She has written nonfiction for Alaska Dispatch News, TheBillfold.com, and StorySouth. Born in Illinois, Jamey has lived in Alaska for fifteen years, leaving briefly to earn her MFA from the University of North Carolina, Greensboro, after which she worked for two years as the assistant to the novelist John Irving. She has served in the Peace Corps and now works for an Alaska Native social services agency.
Review written by Jon Patch with 3.5 out of 4 paws
Open Road Films, Wrigley Pictures and Boies / Schiller Film Group present a PG-13, 91 minute, Romantic Drama directed by Scott Speer, written by Kenji Bando, based on the motion picture screenplay “Taiyo no uta” by Eric Kirsten with a theatre release date of March 23, 2018.
“Lady and the Tramp” Wags Its Way into the Walt Disney Signature Collection
on Digital Feb. 20 and on Blu-ray™ Feb. 27
Experience the timeless tale three different ways along with all-new bonus features!
BURBANK, Calif. (Jan. 4, 2018) — This February, Disney’s cherished animated classic, “Lady and the Tramp,” joins the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection. Every member of the family will treasure this timeless tale—loaded with three versions of the film, classic bonus material and three all-new features—when it heads home on Digital and on Movies Anywhere Feb. 20 and on Blu-ray on Feb. 27.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection edition offers three exciting ways to watch “Lady and the Tramp”—the original theatrical version, sing-along mode and Walt's story meetings—both Digitally and via the Multi-screen Edition (formerly the Blu-ray Combo Pack). The Multi-screen Edition includes Blu-ray, DVD and a Digital copy, giving in-home consumers the flexibility to watch the film on different devices. In addition to classic bonus features, all-new extras invite viewers to enter Walt Disney's original office suite on the Studio lot, discover Walt’s personal passion for pups, and receive a celebrity-hosted spaghetti and meatballs cooking lesson.
As one of the greatest love stories ever told, “Lady and the Tramp” is sure to melt the hearts of generations with its beloved characters, brilliant animation, memorable music and sweet sentiment. The animated treasure tells the story of Lady, a lovingly pampered cocker spaniel, and Tramp, a freewheeling mutt with a heart of gold. Through the Signature Collection edition, viewers can relive the pair’s thrilling adventures, sing along with the film’s unforgettable songs like “Bella Notte,” and swoon over one of the most memorable movie moments of all time—the iconic scene in which Lady and Tramp share a plate of spaghetti and an accidental kiss.
“Lady and the Tramp” is the sixth title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi” and “The Lion King.”
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL*:
- Original Theatrical Edition – Enjoy this cherished Disney classic that captivates audiences of all ages.
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along with all your favorite songs as you watch the movie.
- Inside Walt’s Story Meetings – As you view the film, hear reenactments of Walt’s story sessions with animators and see how their ideas were realized on-screen.
- Walt & His Dogs – Through archival recordings and photos, hear the tales of the dogs Walt Disney owned and loved over his lifetime.
- Stories from Walt’s Office – Take a tour of Walt’s office suite on the Studio lot, carefully re-created to look just as it did when he occupied it.
- How to Make a Meatball and Other Fun Facts About “Lady and The Tramp” – Watch a delicious lesson on how to make perfect meatballs with teen chef Amber Kelley and Oh My Disney Show Host Alexys Gabrielle.
- “Peace on Earth”
- “What Is a Baby/La La Lu”
- “The Siamese Cat Song”
- “Bella Notte”
- “He’s a Tramp”
- Diane Disney Miller: Remembering Dad – Walt’s daughter shares memories of her father and Disneyland’s early days, as well as a look at his apartment above the firehouse.
- Never-Recorded Song - “I’m Free as the Breeze” – Take a listen to a song originally meant to be sung by Tramp.
- Introduction of Boris – Tramp wasn’t always meant to be Lady’s only suitor. Meet Boris the aristocrat and Homer the peasant in this deleted scene.
- Waiting for Baby – Lady watches as Jim Dear plans out his new son’s future in this early storyboard.
- Dog Show – See the storyboards for this deleted scene in which Lady and Tramp unexpectedly find themselves in the middle of a dog show.
New Signature Bonus
Classic Bonus Features
Classic Bonus Features on Digital Only*
- Lady’s Pedigree: The Making of “Lady and the Tramp” – A behind-the-scenes look at the making of Walt Disney’s first feature-length animated film based on an original story.
- Finding Lady: The Art of the Storyboard – Explore the origins of the storyboard and how they’re used by filmmakers today.
- Original 1943 Storyboard Version of the Film – View a unique presentation of the original 1943 storyboards for “Lady and the Tramp.”
- PuppyPedia: Going to the Dogs – Wild and wacky comedian Fred Willard takes us on an outing to the dog park to learn all about dogs and their owners.
- Turning the Tables – In this story-reel presentation, Tramp dreams of a world where dogs run the show and humans are on the other end of the leash.
- The Arrival of Baby – In this alternate scene re-created from original storyboards and with original voice talent, Lady makes way for a new arrival.
- Baby Arrives – Lady is baffled by the strange goings-on in the house—the arrival of a squealing bundle only deepens the mystery.
- Lady’s Sweater – Lady gets a new sweater for her birthday and must figure out an ingenious way to lose it for good.
- 1955 Original Theatrical Trailer – More than just a trailer, this preview features several minutes of footage from the film and introduces each major character.
- 1972 Theatrical Re-Issue Trailer – This trailer from the 1972 rerelease heralds Disney’s “happiest motion picture.”
- 1986 Theatrical Re-Issue Trailer – Released theatrically for the 1986 holiday season, this trailer highlights the love story between Lady and the handsome Tramp.
*Bonus features may vary by retailer
Product SKUs: Multi-screen Edition (Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy), Digital HD/SD, DVD
Feature Run Time: Approximately 76 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Aspect Ratio: 2.55:1
Audio: Blu-ray = English 7.1 & 2.0 DTS-HDMA, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
DVD = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks, English 2.0 Dolby Digital Language Track.
Digital = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 or 2.0 Dolby Digital Language Tracks (platform dependent)
Subtitles: Blu-ray = French, Spanish, English SDH, English ESL
DVD = French, Spanish, English SDH, English ESL, English Closed Captions
Digital = French, Spanish, English SDH, English Closed Captions
ABOUT THE WALT DISNEY SIGNATURE COLLECTION:
The Walt Disney Signature Collection includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. Each release will offer special features for every member of your family plus a unique digital experience. To date, the collection includes “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi” and “The Lion King.”
ABOUT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; Lucasfilm; and Touchstone Pictures. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!.
About Movies Anywhere Movies Anywheresimplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Movies Anywhere brings together the movies from Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Film, The Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm), Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Participating digital retailers at launch are Amazon Video, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu. Movies Anywhere offers a library of over 7,300 digital movies at launch, including new releases, and will continue to expand the consumer experience as more content providers, digital retailers and platforms are added. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can connect their Movies Anywhere account with participating digital retailers and enjoy their favorite digital movies from the comfort of their living room and across multiple devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire devices; Android devices and Android TV; Apple TV; Chromecast; iPhone, iPad and iPod touch; Roku®devices and popular browsers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-ray and DVD disc packages from participating studios and enjoy them through Movies Anywhere.
# # #
TriStar, Impact Pictures, FilmDistrict, Constantin Film Production and Don Carmody Productions present a 105 minute, PG-13, action, adventure, drama, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson , written by Janet Scott Batchler and Lee Batchler with a theater release date of February 21, 2014.