Today In History
1885, French scientist Louis Pasteur tested an anti-rabies vaccine on 9-year-old Joseph Meister, who had been bitten by an infected dog; the boy did not develop rabies.
1998, singing cowboy Roy Rogers died at his home in Los Angeles. He was 86.
Jon Patch - Host
Vince Centonze DVM / Co Host
Lisa Centonze DVM / Co Host
Amanda Page - Producer/ Reporter
Zack Budin - Network Producer
Bob Page - Executive Producer
Special Guest: Pet Expert. Kainoa Clark, from Orapup will join Jon and Talkin' Pets this Saturday 7/6/13 at 6:30 PM EST to discuss and give away the Orapup Starter Kit
Some people love cats. Others say that dogs are man’s best friend.
Now, a growing number of pet lovers are going even bigger, preferring to keep llamas, the South American relative of the camel, as their household pets.
Gary and Katrina Capasso live in upstate New York and have not one, not two but 55 llamas as their pets.
“They’re like potato chips. You can’t just have one,” Katrina Capasso said.
The Capassos’ love affair with llamas began when they got married and Gary gave Katrina a llama as a wedding gift.
“Yes, it’s true, I gave my wife her first llama as a wedding present,” Gary said.
The Capassos say llamas cost about the same to feed and take care of as a more traditional pet, a dog. The breed is known to graze on grass and plants and need very little water to survive.
They don’t cost a lot to feed.. But, again, you do need to have some land to have them.
While the Capassos’ 55-strong llama household might be a bit extreme, they’re actually not that rare in owning a llama as a pet.
The Capassos are two of 30,000 people in the United States who own llamas, according to the International Llama Registry. The couple’s 55 llamas are also among the 163,000 llamas registered in the United States, according to the same registry.
While llamas aren’t seen on the street every day in the United States, our neighbors to the south, in Central and South America, have used llamas as pack animals to carry loads in the Andes Mountains for centuries.
The average size of a llama is comparable to a 6-foot-tall man and the average weight is around 250 pounds.
'Ruff' ride for dog trapped in engine...
South Florida firefighters came to the rescue of a dog that traveled 5 miles while trapped under the hood of a car.
The Broward Sheriff's Office says firefighters were called to Dania Beach to free the dog. The animal had been trapped between the car's axle and steering mechanism.
A sheriff's office spokesman says the dog suffered no injuries, even though it had been driven roughly 5 miles from Hallandale Beach.
It wasn't immediately clear how the dog became trapped.
If the thought of spiders makes your skin crawl, you might find it reassuring that the chances of being bitten by a spider are smaller than you imagine...
Most so-called "spider bites" are not actually spider bites, according to researchers and several recent studies. Instead, "spider bites" are more likely to be bites or stings from other arthropods such as fleas, skin reactions to chemicals or infections.
For one thing, spiders tend to avoid people, and have no reason to bite humans because they aren't bloodsuckers and don't feed on humans. Spiders are far more afraid of us than we are of them.
Not very scary
When spider bites do happen, they tend to occur because the eight-legged beasts are surprised -- for example when a person reaches into a glove, shoe or nook that they are occupying at the moment.
Even then, however, the majority of spiders are not toxic to humans. Spiders prey on small invertebrates such as insects, so their venom is not geared toward large animals such as humans.
Many spiders aren't even capable of piercing human flesh.
Only about a dozen of the approximately 40,000 spider species worldwide can cause serious harm to the average healthy adult human. In North America, there are only two groups of spiders that are medically important: the widow group (which includes black widows) and the recluse group (brown recluses). These spiders do bite people, and if they live in your area, you should know what they look like. But still, records show bites from these spiders are very infrequent.
But spiders are still widely regarded as dangerous to humans, which is generally not the case.
Spiders are good at killing "nuisance insects," which may be more likely to bite humans than spiders, In the vast majority of cases, spiders are our friends.
For dog owners who can splurge, pooched eggs, yappetizers, and more...
It's not surprising hotels are unleashing special perks and menus aimed at dog owners.
Pet owners are an attractive demographic, last year spending more than $50 billion on their four-legged friends, a 73% increase in the last decade, according to Dillon Media, a marketing strategy firm. The biggest spenders were people who don't have kids at home — the kind of traveler who can stay longer and spend more.
Although dog menus are still a rarity in U.S. hotels, they’re a growing trend. In fact a lot are now boasting that their pet entrees, side dishes and treats are organic, fresh or straight out of the baker's oven.
A recent survey released by Starwood Hotels & Resorts estimated that out of 62 million dog owners in the U.S., an estimated 78% of them consider their dog to be an "equal member" of the family. It's not surprising, then, that most people feel guilty about leaving their dog at home while they go on a family vacation. Pet-friendly hotels are an attractive option for families who want to avoid the stress and expense of kenneling a dog or finding a sitter.
Increasingly, upscale chains are adopting new pet-friendly policies. Dogs are no longer simply tolerated; they are often indulged and given the red carpet treatment. With amenities such as turn-down service in custom beds, plush doggie robes, and even in-room doggie massages, dogs are welcomed as an important member of the family. Owners avoid the guilt of leaving their pets behind. Dogs who stay with their owners in pet-friendly hotels don't get depressed about being left behind, and may benefit from a change of scenery and more time spent with family.
This is going to rub a lot of cat owners the wrong way, but here goes: Experts say that cats are better off when they stay in the house and are not allowed to roam around outside where they could get hurt or attacked by a predator.
Making your cat an indoor-only cat is one of the best things you can do for your furry friend.
For cats, the great outdoors are anything but great. Whether they live in the city, in the suburbs, or in the country, outdoor cats face a multitude of risks. They are exposed to contagious diseases, most of which are fatal. Traffic takes a huge toll on free-roaming cats, and while many people believe their pets are street-wise, no cat looks both ways when being chased by another animal. Further dangers include poisons, leg-hold traps, pet theft, and inhumane treatment by cruel people.
Outdoor cats cause problems, too. They dig and defecate in neighbors' yards, and as predators, they injure and kill a significant number of wild animals. Cats cannot be trained to ignore their natural hunting instincts. The only sure way to safeguard wildlife is to keep cats inside.
Consistency is important. If you let your cat out every now and then, the kitty gets confused about where it's supposed to be.
What's really important that you're very strict that your cat is an indoor-only cat and help takes care of that confusion and that cat's desire to want to dash outside.
Nut Detecting Dog Making Big Difference for Woman with a Nut Allergy...
Nut allergies are a very common allergy, but for some it is a life threatening condition. Yasmine Tornbald has been rushed to a hospital over 20 times in the last eight years because of her nut allergy. Now thanks to Nano, a trained nut sniffing dog, managing Tornbald’s nut allergy has become easier.
Nano spent a year being trained by Medical Detection Dogs, a charity based in England. He is able to detect nut odors in food and the environment. Tornbald’s nut allergy is so severe that even the smell of nuts is enough to put her into anaphylactic shock.
She had a mild allergy to nuts as a child and then it appeared to disappear. Then on a business trip eight years ago she went into anaphylactic shock, and it happened again just a few weeks later. She discovered she was allergic to walnuts, cashews and peanuts. She has gone into anaphylactic shock more than 20 times since the allergy resurfaced eight years ago.
Tornbald first learned about how a dog might help her condition when she saw a television show about dogs in Canada that had been trained to sniff out peanuts. With the idea in her head she began to contact charities throughout the UK to see if anyone would be able to provide her with one.
“I heard back from Medical Detection Dogs who said they may be able to help and they linked me up with Nano,” said Tornbald. “It was so exciting.”
Nano has already made a huge difference in Tornbald’s life and she would recommend that anyone else who is in a similar position as hers to consider the option of getting a dog trained to detect nuts.