|The Florida Aquarium, along with 19 other accredited aquariums, has been nominated by a panel of experts for USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice 2018 awards. The Florida Aquarium is the only aquarium representing Florida in the Best Aquariums category. Vote here: www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-aquarium/.
The nominees represent the best aquariums in the country and are recognized for their fun and educational setting, high quality exhibits and visitor interactions, and the vital role they play in animal conservation by taking part in rescue efforts and advocating for the environmental health of our oceans.
Vote every day for The Florida Aquarium until voting ends on Monday, April 30 at midnight EDT. The 10 best winners will be announced on Friday, May 4.
10 reasons why The Florida Aquarium is one of the 10Best:
- The Florida Aquarium is a must-see for all animal lovers and marine life enthusiasts. With 7,000+ creatures to discover, you can get up-close with the oceans’ top predators – sharks – in a 500,000-gallon underwater habitat, touch a stingray, enjoy frolicking river otters, venture into Madagascar to see leaping lemurs and marvel at our magnificent giant Pacific octopus.
- Our coral experts are working on groundbreaking techniques to significantly increase coral conservation and restoration work that would make us the first in the U.S. to replicate wild coral spawning in a lab with multiple species. More info here: https://bit.ly/2GWFIoF
- We have educated more than 1.6+ million students about the importance of healthy oceans and the natural environment.
- We rescue, rehabilitate and release endangered sea turtles. And, when completed later this year, our new sea turtle hospital will allow us to amplify our sea turtle rescue and recovery efforts. Guests will also be able to view our turtles in various stages of rehabilitation as we model new dive and feeding pools that will assure their readiness for return to the ocean.
- You can swim or dive with our sand tiger sharks (and numerous other finned friends) in our 500,000-gallon coral reef habitat and learn how important sharks are to the health and vitality of our oceans.
- We vowed to pitch the plastics. We have teamed up with 22 aquariums that comprise the Aquarium Conservation Partnership to drive a shift away from single-use plastic and toward more sustainable alternatives. The partnership has rolled out a nationwide campaign, "In Our Hands," to empower our 20 million visitors and millions more in our communities to make positive behavior changes and raise awareness around how plastic pollution threatens ocean and freshwater animals.
- You can get up-close and personal with our African penguins, an endangered species we are working to help conserve through fieldwork in South Africa and by way of education about these incredible animals.
- You can experience The Splash Pad, our expansive outdoor, rainforest-themed kids’ play space featuring both wet and dry play elements, lush landscaping and more.
- In 2017, The Florida Aquarium hosted six coastal cleanups and collected more than 332 pounds of debris, tires, a pile of construction rubble and 62 bags of trash.
- As a nonprofit, your ticket to our Aquarium helps support our mission to entertain, educate and inspire stewardship of the natural environment