SMITHTOWN, NEW YORK – (November 9, 2015) – One quick Google news search of the term “animal abuse” yields over 53,000 results. Animal abuse is a serious problem that many people are beginning to take notice of due to the horrific news headlines covering the stories. These allegations lately include such heartbreaking stories as animals being slammed, starved, beaten, and more. From undercover investigations taking place at big name food manufacturers to animal cruelty being reported by individuals in communities around the nation, many people are looking for ways to help bring an end to these horrific news stories.
"We have made it our mission to help catch those responsible for animal cruelty and bring them to justice,” says Robert Misseri, founder and president of Guardians of Rescue. “However, it’s a job that we don’t do alone. It is a collaborative effort to make it happen, but we have been quite successful at it.”
Guardians of Rescue (GOR) is an animal rescue organization which has built a reputation for helping to rescue abused and abandoned animals. Being serious about their mission, their investigative team is headed by Joaquin “Jack” Garcia, a former FBI agent, who spent 26 years doing undercover field work on over 100 assignments, including bringing about 39 convictions of Mafia figures.
“We investigate every animal cruelty lead that comes to us,” explains Garcia. “We have seen some awful things in doing so, but it’s always a great thing when we can rescue the animal and bring the person to justice who was the abuser. That’s what we do all of this for. Whether it’s a lack of proper care, dogfighting, hoarding, or something else, our mission is to help these animals.”
GOR goes into some of the highest crime areas looking for obvious signs of animal abuse and cruelty. They also offer 5 ways that others can help stop animal abuse:
1. Take notice. The first step is in noticing that it is taking place. Take a look around for signs of animal abuse and cruelty, trusting your instincts when you see something that doesn’t seem right.
2. Report it. Gather as much information as possible about the situation that needs to be reported, and then contact your local agency to make a report. The more information or support you can provide, the more it will help with the investigation and conviction. If you feel the local authorities are not taking action after reporting, then take it to social media.
3. Support organizations. Some people prefer to not get directly involved in the reporting or investigations. They can still help to stop animal abuse by supporting those organizations that investigate abuse and rescue animals.
4. Contact legislatures. Many animal cruelty crimes do not come with severe punishments that would help prevent them from happening in the first place. Contact the powers that be in your state and urge them to make tougher laws for those who are convicted of animal cruelty and abuse. Holding the people accountable is a big step toward preventing more abuse.
5. Pay attention to companies that abuse. Notice the companies that are found to be involved in animal abuse cases. Write or call them to urge them to change their practices and hold their employees accountable for cruelty. When they know consumers care more, they will ensure better treatment of the animals in their care.
“Many people want to help animals, but are unsure how to go about doing so,” shares Katie Cleary, model, film producer of “Give Me Shelter” available on Netflix, and founder of World Animal News which brings you the latest breaking animal welfare news from around the world. “I’ve made animal abuse and rescue issues a top priority in my life for many years. I urge others to get involved to help make their community better for all animals. There are ways to help make the world better for animals, whether you are directly or indirectly involved in the efforts.”
Another organization working to aid in the rescue of animals is the Eastwood Ranch Foundation, a California-based animal welfare and rescue organization. The founder of the group, Alison Eastwood, actress, film producer, and is the daughter of the beloved actor Clint Eastwood. They routinely rescue animals from high-kill shelters, care for them, and work to find each one a forever home.
“Our shelters are filled with beautiful pets who need good homes and families to live their lives with,” says Alison Eastwood. “They just need a chance. That’s something we hope we are giving to them as we work to rescue them and change their life for the better.”
Guardians of Rescue provides assistance to animals out on the streets, helping to rescue them, provide medical care, food and shelter, and find foster-home placements. Many families are still struggling, such as from Hurricane Sandy, making it difficult for them to care for their pet, either financially or while living in temporary housing. They are also instrumental in helping military members with their pets, and providing therapy dogs to veterans suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. To learn more, get involved, or to make a donation to support the Guardians of Rescue, log onto www.guardiansofrescue.org.
About Guardians of Rescue Based in New York, Guardians of Rescue is an organization whose mission is to protect the well being of all animals. They provide aid to animals in distress, including facilitating foster programs, rehabilitation, assisting other rescue groups, and providing support to families, both military and not, who need assistance due to economic factors. To learn more about Guardians of Rescue, visit the site at www.guardiansofrescue.org.
# # #